Sunday, July 17, 2011

Honoring a Fallen Officer, Sgt. Brent Long

All gave some, some gave all.




In Memory of Sgt. Brent Long.
He is pictured here with his K-9 partner, Shadow.
Picture taken from 'In Memory of Officer Brent Long' FB page




"KEEPER OF MEN"
Early in life, God had chosen me
to look after His children here on Earth.

As I've been blessed with this awesome task,
I was required to sacrifice many things that others enjoy,
in order to fulfill my mission.

For I had been chosen to keep peace,
in a world which violence takes no vacation.
I was at many times required to be away from my family.

Yes, I have missed many exciting times in our lives.
Birthdays, first steps and first words.
But I know, there is no end to us.
Only another beginning, in another place.

Although I've left this world,
I know that in the next, I will be able to look down,
look back and see all that I have missed.

Do not be sad for me,
For I believe that God will grant me that one wish,
for I have done what was asked of me.

I knew the rewards would be great someday,
as I chose to embrace my mission.
For God would not guide me, where I was not to go.

I've had so little time here on Earth.
But now, I'm with my God, who has rewarded me,
by calling me Home.

Do not remember me as leaving you alone,
as I will always be with you now.
Watching you from the Heavens above.
Continuing my calling.......as a "Keeper of Men."

-Author Unknown




I honestly can't tell you if I ever met Sgt. Brent Long. I know my brother worked with him at Vigo County Jail and when we visited my brother and his family, one of the things I loved doing, was going with him while he was working his shift.  I miss "law enforcement".  I miss the talk, the uniforms, the jail (no, not behind the bars) and I met several of his buddies while we were there.  Sadly, I found out last night, that Sgt. Long's wife, who is a dispatcher, was working on 7-11-11, the day he was fatally wounded. On Monday, she will be giving the final dispatch call "208 is 10-42" I can't imagine how hard this will be on her, their family and the entire police force as they lay a hero to rest tomorrow.

My brother will be walking behind the hearse at the cemetary.  He was asked by THPD to hold/carry the 'thin blue line' flag.  He must be pretty special to get asked to do that.....I think so at least. :) It will be on http://www.wthitv.com/ which will be aired online.






3 comments:

Catherine said...

How heartbreaking. All who loved him will be in my prayers. It will be a sad day tomorrow, and the days that follow are so difficult for those left behind. :*(
-Catherine

Anonymous said...

Wow that is extremely sad. I can't begin to say how this makes me feel.

Unknown said...

How heart wrenching for his wife - God bless her! We take for granted those that serve. Thank you for the reminder of how important they are and how fragile life can be.

Blessings,

April