Monday, September 27, 2010

Soup's on!





If you are anything like me, when the temperature starts falling, I'm in the mood for soup. Something warm to put in your tummy on a cool, crisp day.  Inexpensive to make, easy to throw together and simple enough even for the "Queen of Can't cook" to get it right. 

I knew the temp would be falling some this week. This morning, when I woke up, the first thing I noticed was my husband had the furnace going. Mmm, soup weather!! I set my plan into motion....I had the recipe, the ingredients and was prepared (for once) come supper time.  Normally I am scrambling around at the last minute trying to throw something together that resembles a meal.  Today, I was Martha Stewart or Betty Crocker.......I was more of a Paula Dean (I have her sl-ang ac-cent). ;)

Today's soup: Baked Potato Soup                    

My entire family raved about it!  My 19 month old son and I were arguing who got the next bite....since I was feeding him from his bowl, while I was trying to eat from mine too.  Neither one of us wanted to stop.  Ultimately, he won out......ya know how us moms are, big push overs ;).  We barely had any leftovers but my kids were begging me to keep it.  Seriously? They wanted me to keep the leftovers? MY cooking? Yippie! :D

Ok, since I am not a great cook, it must be the soup.  I'm big enough to admit it.  It's changed the way we see Potato Soup a.k.a. Tater Soup, round these hills. I've found my new favorite!

BAKED POTATO SOUP:


12 slices of bacon (I bought a 15 slice pkg. of precooked and microwaved it to get some of the fat out)
2/3 c. butter (I used 1/3 cup)
2/3 c flour
7 c. milk
4 large baked potatoes, baked and cubed (I just cut as many as I thought my family would eat...more than 4...and I didn't see the word 'baked' just threw mine in the pot & let them slow cook til they got done....oops!)
4 green onions (Didn't use all of these either)
1 1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1 c. sour cream 
1 tsp. salt (hahahaha! riiiiiiight! give me the shaker baby!)
1/2 tsp. pepper
(Hmm...okay....I'm noticing a pattern......mayyyyyybe this is why I stink at cooking?  I can't follow a recipe.  BUT, this one is a winner any way!!)


Place bacon in large, deep pot, cook and drain - crumble and set aside. In same pot, melt butter and whisk in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in milk, whisking constantly until thickened. Stir in potatoes and onions. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Mix in bacon, cheese, sour cream, salt and pepper. Mix until cheese is melted.



No comments: