Monday, December 6, 2010

Follow the Star

Saturday night, my family, my mom, a dear friend of ours and myself decided to go to a local church for their 13th Annual "Follow The Star" production.  I have wanted to go to this since the very first year, but I was without children then and was always working, so I never had time to go.  I would help with traffic control, but that was as close as I ever got.  (I worked at the Sheriff's Department). We got our chance to go this past Saturday though.  A few weeks ago, I went and picked up our tickets.  They were free, but you had to have tickets to get in, it's just that good! 

Follow The Star is about your 'family' embarking on a journey to follow the biggest and brightest star in the sky, having been told that a Savior was born on this night.

We started out by having a run in with Roman soldiers, who were brutal and harsh, they yelled at you for simple things. Then we bargained with the Roman soldiers for our family to pass, we would have to give them X amount of coins for safe passage.  We met the 3 wise men, complete with their camels (real ones....I was as excited as the kids!)  Next we encountered the Angel of the Lord proclaiming the birth of our Savior.  We unfortunately ran into Satan while on our journey, who tried to discourage us, as he often does in our lives, but we walked away from him quickly, only to run into more angry Roman soldiers.  We made it to the village, where the census was being taken.  We met many wonderful Jews, who offered us something to eat, rocks from the Nile, samples of spices, etc.  Our family tried to find a place in the Inn to stay, but once again, there was no room.  We were directed to a small barn/building where we found Mary & Joseph, huddled together, surrounded by straw & animals, holding baby Jesus.  Very touching to say the least.  I really enjoyed every moment of the experience and can't wait to go back next year! 

I have to admit, I was one of the unfortunate ones who was yelled at by the Roman soldiers.  When we first got there, we were given different names.  My name was Deborah.  There was also Sarah, Dinah, Samuel, Ruth, and Amos in our group, as well as some others.  When we were asked our 'name' we had to give our new name.  One of the gentlemen in our 'family' got flustered and spewed something out that sounded like "yabbadabba"....ok, not really that, but it was something really messed up.  That made me chuckle. :/ I am not sure exactly why, but the Roman soldier standing next to me did NOT like that, therefore, I got an ear full.  I am very fortunate and thankful I did not live in that day......I fear I would be here no longer!!!!

It was a very touching experience and I have to say to the Paoli Christian Church again, you all did an awesome job!  My son was a little worried that I was targeted, but I reassured him it was going to be ok. :)

We couldn't take pictures (as much as I wanted to) so I can't really describe just how great it all was.  You'll just have to take my word for it.  I did get one picture of my littlest guy, enjoying a cookie afterwards, still adorning his head scarf (not sure of the correct term......) He looks mighty cute with his little cheeks packed full of chocolate chip cookies!

SHALOM!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What an incredible experience for you and your family. Real camels? That's amazing. Your son looks adorable!! What a sweet face.